Today many women are turning to natural remedies for getting their PCOS symptoms under control. And, the good news is – these remedies are working!
One of the remedies that is working is essential oils. When using essential oils, it is important to remember that a little goes a long way because of how potent they are.
Today we will explore the best essential oils for PCOS; how to use them and a potent DIY Essential Oil Blend to support you on your healing journey.
What is PCOS?
PCOS (Polycystci Ovary Syndrome) is a set of symptoms that come about because of increased androgens (male hormones) in women. PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder affecting women between the ages of 18 and 44.
One or both the ovaries can be affected by PCOS which is characterized by a collection of cysts on the ovary, which causes it to bulge and produce more androgens than normal.
PCOS is also one of the leading causes of infertility. It is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some risk factors of PCOS include
- Lack of physical exercise
- Family history of someone with the condition
Symptoms of PCOS
Some women experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Heavy periods
- Excess hair
- Weight gain or trouble losing weight
- Insulin resistance
- Low sex drive
- Thinning hair on the scalp
- Pelvic pain
- Difficulty getting pregnan
- Patches of thick, darker velvety skin
To see if your symptoms indicate PCOS, use our questionnaire here.
How do Essential Oils Help with PCOS
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances. They are made up of many chemical constituents – terpenes, ketones, acetates and more. These constituents are what makes each essential oil special and different from each other. They give an essential oil its numerous therapeutic properties. Some of these properties include hormone-balancing, cytophylactic, anti-inflammatory, tonic, stimulant, antibacterial, analgesic and more.
What makes essential oils special is there therapeutic properties. Here are the following benefits of essential oils for PCOS:
- Help balance hormones
- Reduce inflammation in the body
- Reduce thinning hair on the scalp
- Fight acne
- Increase fertility
- Act as natural aphrodisiacs
- Regulate menstrual periods
- Help in weight management
- Reduce pelvic pain
- Increase energy and boost mood
Here are my top 10 Essential Oils for PCOS:
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- What it does: Balances hormones; assists in hair growth; acts as a utrine tonic; boosts estrogen levels; works in synergy with geranium essential oil for ovarian support.
geranium essential oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health; regulates hormones; promotes healthy functioning of reproductive system; fights hormonal acne.
Lavender essential oil
- What it does: Quells anxiety; reduces stress; regulates scanty periods; balances the endocrine system; blends well with geranium and clary essential oils for ovarian support.
Sandalwood essential oil
- What it does: Balances out testosterone levels which bring symptoms like male pattern baldness; excess body hair and acne.
Cypress Essential oil
- What it does: Promotes proper blood circulation; supports fertility
cinnamon essential oil
- What it does: Supports weight loss; regulates insulin levels
frankincense essential oil
- What it does: Helps in getting rid of ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids; balances the endocrine system; strong anti-inflammatory.
Rose otto essential oil
- What it does: Natural aphrodisiac; beautifies skin and fights acne; strong anti-inflammatory; supports fertility; normalizes irregular periods.
german chamomile essential oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health; strong anti-inflammatory; soothing and calming properties for the mind and whole body.
myrrh essential oil
- What it does: Normalizes scanty periods; helps clear a congested uterus.