So, how can digestive enzymes help with hormone balance? Food and digestion is at the center of our overall health and hormonal balance. We all have heard “you are what you eat”. This new term holds more truth: “You are what you can digest and absorb.” If our digestive function is compromised, we cannot fully benefit from the nutrients in our diet, no matter how high the quality of our foods.
Since we have many feasting opportunities ahead of us at this time of the year, I would like to help you digest food more efficiently. It will help you feel and look better during times of feasts and beyond; and good digestion prevents putting on those extra pounds!
So what about hormone balance and gut health? Good gut health is crucial to re-balancing your hormones regardless of the imbalance. Poor digestive health is especially impactful on women because of their physical and hormonal
makeup. All of our hormones are processed through our gut. When our food is not properly digested, all of our systems are compromised.
Who needs digestive enzymes?
This is where digestive enzymes come into play in our digestive health. Who needs digestive enzymes? Anyone who displays any of these:
- Occasional bloating and gas, particularly after eating
- Feeling full after eating only a small quantity of food
- Infrequent mild indigestion/heartburn
- Bowel irregularities such as occasional diarrhea and/or constipation
- Undigested food in stools
- Estrogen dominance
- History of gallbladder problems
- Lost gallbladder due to surgery
What to expect from Digestive Enzymes
Women who add digestive enzymes to their regimen often feel:
- Lighter and energized after a meal
- Improvement in digestion
- Less food intolerances
- Better bowel movement (less constipation or loose stool)
- Less allergies ( this is because the liver gets a break from undigested food)
- Improved energy and overall well-being (nutrients get properly absorbed)
- Improved thyroid function (especially with Hashimoto’s)
You have probably heard that your gut is your second brain. If your digestive system is on track you are set up for our whole body system to be on track. The opposite is also true.
TerraZyme, my go-to Digestive Enzyme Complex, is a proprietary blend of active whole-food enzymes and supporting mineral co-factors that are often deficient in cooked, processed and preservative-laden foods. TerraZyme’s powerful combination of digestive enzymes support the body’s constant production of enzymes critical for healthy biochemical functions throughout the body including healthy digestion of food nutrients and cellular metabolism of nutrients to energy. TerraZyme includes a variety of whole-food enzymes that help with digestion of proteins, fats complex carbohydrates, sugars and fiber.
Here is a list of benefits
- Supports healthy digestion and metabolism of enzyme-deficient, processed foods. Speeds conversion of food nutrients to cellular energy
- Promotes gastrointestinal comfort and food tolerance
- Supports healthy production of metabolic enzymes
- Provides important mineral co-factors for systemic enzymatic activity
Enzymes do more than we think
Enzymes are not only necessary for digesting food nutrients and converting nutrients to energy in cells, they also function as catalysts in almost all cellular functions and chemical reactions throughout the body. They are also necessary for breathing, thinking, immune function, hormone regulation, detoxification, and thousands of other biochemical functions.
The body’s constant need to produce digestive enzymes can result in chronic deficiencies in metabolic enzymes that re critical for optimal health and cell function. One example of an important metabolic enzyme is superoxide dismutase (SOD) which protects cells from free-radical molecules. Metabolic enzymes are also