Today many women are turning to natural remedies for getting their PCOS symptoms under control. And, the good news is – these remedies are working!
One of the remedies that is working is essential oils. When using essential oils, it is important to remember that a little goes a long way because of how potent they are.
Today we will explore the best essential oils for PCOS; how to use them and a potent DIY Essential Oil Blend to support you on your healing journey.
What is PCOS?
PCOS (Polycystci Ovary Syndrome) is a set of symptoms that come about because of increased androgens (male hormones) in women. PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder affecting women between the ages of 18 and 44.
One or both the ovaries can be affected by PCOS which is characterized by a collection of cysts on the ovary, which causes it to bulge and produce more androgens than normal.
PCOS is also one of the leading causes of infertility. It is a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Some risk factors of PCOS include
- Lack of physical exercise
- Family history of someone with the condition
Symptoms of PCOS
Some women experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Heavy periods
- Excess hair
- Weight gain or trouble losing weight
- Insulin resistance
- Low sex drive
- Thinning hair on the scalp
- Pelvic pain
- Difficulty getting pregnan
- Patches of thick, darker velvety skin
To see if your symptoms indicate PCOS, use our questionnaire here.
How do Essential Oils Help with PCOS
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances. They are made up of many chemical constituents – terpenes, ketones, acetates and more. These constituents are what makes each essential oil special and different from each other. They give an essential oil its numerous therapeutic properties. Some of these properties include hormone-balancing, cytophylactic, anti-inflammatory, tonic, stimulant, antibacterial, analgesic and more.
What makes essential oils special is there therapeutic properties. Here are the following benefits of essential oils for PCOS:
- Help balance hormones
- Reduce inflammation in the body
- Reduce thinning hair on the scalp
- Fight acne
- Increase fertility
- Act as natural aphrodisiacs
- Regulate menstrual periods
- Help in weight management
- Reduce pelvic pain
- Increase energy and boost mood
Here are my top 10 Essential Oils for PCOS:
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- What it does: Balances hormones; assists in hair growth; acts as a utrine tonic; boosts estrogen levels; works in synergy with geranium essential oil for ovarian support.
geranium essential oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health; regulates hormones; promotes healthy functioning of reproductive system; fights hormonal acne.
Lavender essential oil
- What it does: Quells anxiety; reduces stress; regulates scanty periods; balances the endocrine system; blends well with geranium and clary essential oils for ovarian support.
Sandalwood essential oil
- What it does: Balances out testosterone levels which bring symptoms like male pattern baldness; excess body hair and acne.
Cypress Essential oil
- What it does: Promotes proper blood circulation; supports fertility
cinnamon essential oil
- What it does: Supports weight loss; regulates insulin levels
frankincense essential oil
- What it does: Helps in getting rid of ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids; balances the endocrine system; strong anti-inflammatory.
Rose otto essential oil
- What it does: Natural aphrodisiac; beautifies skin and fights acne; strong anti-inflammatory; supports fertility; normalizes irregular periods.
german chamomile essential oil
- What it does: Supports women’s health; strong anti-inflammatory; soothing and calming properties for the mind and whole body.
myrrh essential oil
- What it does: Normalizes scanty periods; helps clear a congested uterus.
How to Use Essential Oils for PCOS
The most effective ways to use essential oils for PCOS is preparing a master synergistic PCOS blend consisting of all the above oils good for PCOS. This synergistic blend can be used in any of the following ways:
- Castor Oil Pack – Get a non-food use bowl and pout in 1/4 cup of castor oil. Now add 10-15 drops of the PCOS blend and stir with a stainless steel rod. Soak a wool flannel in the castor oil mixture till it’s absorbed. Now wring it out well so that it’s damp and not dripping with oil. Place the castor oil pack on your lower abdomen and lay down for 2-3 hours. You can put a heating pad or hot water bottle over the flannel to introduce heat so that the oils can penetrate deeper. Also, you may wear an old T-shirt while the doing the pack so the castor oil won’t stain. This is preferably done at night time. You can also tie the flannel around your lower abdomen and leave it on overnight if you can.
- In a Healing Bath – Simply mix 20 drops of the blend with 2 cups of Epsom salts and 1 cup of baking soda. Disperse this in a warm bath.
- Diffusing – In a high quality diffuser add 6 drops of the PCOS blend. Diffuse for about 15-60 minutes every day.
- Foot Massage – The soles of the feet have reflex points that connect to different organs in the body. The outer ankles of the feet connect to the ovaries. The inner ankles of the feet connect to the uterus. In a non-food bowl, dilute 6 drops of the PCOS blend in 2 tsp of fractionated coconut oil. Use this to massage the soles of your feet and ankles.
- Roller Blend – Place 25 drops of the above PCOS blend in a 10ml roller bottle. Now top the bottle with fractionated coconut oil, close it and shake well to combine everything. Roll gently over your lower abdomen at night time.
- Hair Mask – For thinning hair, this blend can help to reduce hair loss and even foster growth of new hairs. To use, place 1 tbsp of warm castor oil in a non-food use bowl. Warm the castor oil beforehand. Now add 6 drops of the PCOS blend. Stir it together and drop the blend all over your scalp using a spoon. Once your entire scalp is saturated, gently massage it in with your fingers. Wash your hair after 2 hours. You can also leave this on overnight and wash your hair the next day. Shampoo twice to remove all the oils. If possible, use a natural shampoo and conditioner.
DIY Essential Oil Blend for PCOS
Please be sure to dilute the blend with a carrier oil before use. See above for ways to use this blend. Before using the blend, (diluted) topically, do patch test on your inner wrist to see if there’s irritation, then wash the area thoroughly and do not use the blend topically.
essential oils you will need
- 20 drops frankincense
- 20 drops rose otto
- 20 drops lavender
- 20 drops geranium
- 20 drops german chamomile
- 15 drops clary sage
- 15 drops myrrh
- 10 drops sandalwood
- 10 drops cypress
- 7 drops cinnamon
- 1 o amber glass dropper bottle
- Carefully drop all the essential oils mentioned above into your amber glass dropper bottle.
- Screw on the cap securely and keep in a cool dark place for 5 days to allow the oils to synergize together.
- When 5 days are up, your DIY essential oil blend for PCOS is ready for use in any of the recommended ways of application as mentioned above.
If you would like help with your PCOS symptoms or with ordering this or other oils for PCOS, you can contact me below.