Pesto Pasta With Scallops
- 8 Oz Uncooked whole wheat rotini
- 6 Tsp olive oil, divided
- 12 Oz Asparagus (about 20 spears) cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 Oz Cherry Tomatoes halved (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt, divided
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper, divided
- 12 Oz Large sea scallops
- 1 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 Cup Homemade or store bought pesto (recipe follows)
- Pinch Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup pine nuts, 2 cloves garlic and 1/4 tsp salt in food processor. With motor running, add 1/4 cup olive oil in thin steady stream; process until well blended and pine nuts are finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese; pulse until blended.
- Prepare past according to package directions in large saucepan of boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water; return to saucepan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to pasta, cover to keep warm.
- Combine scallops, 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in large bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallops and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook about 3 minutes per side or until scallops are opaque.
- Stir in pesto and red pepper flakes, if desired, into pasta mixture. Stir in some of reserved pasta water to make a creamy sauce. Divide pasta mixture among serving bowls; top with scallops.