Labors tend to be shorter and with fewer complications with a birth doula present. Women having a birth doula report having more positive feelings about their childbirth experience. Doula assisted births have a reduced need for pitocin to induce labor or any other delivery assistance. There is also a reduction for the need for pain medications, epidurals and c-section when a birth doula is present.
Statistically proven outcomes are:
- 31% decrease in the use of pitocin
- 28% decrease in the risk of c-section
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nusery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience